I am an associate senior lecturer and Docent/Reader at Lund
University specializing in Programming Tools in the Software Development and Environments group at
the Department of Computer Science.
I completed my Ph.D. in 2013 at Lund University under the supervision of Görel Hedin (Thesis:
Contributions to the Construction of Extensible Semantic Editors).
As of March 2018, I have returned to Lund University after four years in
industry, working on developer tools at Google in Mountain View and Copenhagen
(Tricorder, Shipshape, Tricium).
Contact: See cs.lth.se/emma-soderberg,
Research Interest: I'm interested in programming languages, software
development, and development tools. Specifically, the composition of languages
and tools, and how these are used. I’m curious about overall questions in the
realm of 'how do we construct useful languages and tools for software
developers?' and 'how do we make software developers more productive?'.
Supervision and Openings: I supervise projects on all levels (from B.Sc.
to Postdoc) and occationally I have openings for Ph.D. students, postdocs, and
student programmers. I'm always interested in working with motivated students.
Please reach out if you have an interest in this area and we can discuss
possibilities. I try to list current openings here.
- Accepted paper at OOPSLA'21: JavaDL: Automatically Incrementalizing Java Bug Pattern Detection (Dura, Reichenbach, Söderberg).
- Article in Framtidens forskning: Verktyg för mer användbar programanalys (Swedish).
- Accepted paper at PPIG'21: Progger: Programming by Errors (Work in Progress) (McCabe, Söderberg, Church).
- Accepted paper at PPIG'21: Breaking down and making up - a leans for conversing with compilers (Church, Söderberg, McCabe).
- Accepted paper at EASE-NIER'21: Open data-driven Usability Improvements of Static Code Analysis and its Challenges (Söderberg, Church, Höst).
- First community meeting in the MEAN open source project in March 2021 with participants from Axis, Bosch, Qlik, and Lund University.
- Accepted paper at ICSE-SEIP'21: Case Study on Data-driven Deployment of Program Analysis on an Open Tools Stack (Ljungberg, Åkesson, Söderberg, Sten, Lundh, Church).
- Appointed Associate Editor of Volume 6 of The Programming Journal.
- Co-chair of the conversations starters track at <Programming> 2021
- Co-chair of the program committee of SLE 2021.
- Kevin Andersson and Mohammad Abo Al Anein (M.Sc. students / main supervisor since March 2021). Data-driven Deployment of Program Analysis Fixes. Carried out at Axis Communications AB.
- Michael Pater and Mattias Leifsson (M.Sc., June 2021). The Costs and Benefits of Acting on Program Analysis Results. Carried out at Robert Bosch AB, Lund. LU-CS-EX-2021-20.
- Anna Qvil (M.Sc., June 2021). Readability [of code] in Practice. Carried out at Sony Mobile Communiation AB. LU-CS-EX-2021-21.
- Anton Engström (M.Sc., June 2020), Towards Agile Data Engineering for Small Scale Teams (Sentian). LU-CS-EX-2020-40. [PDF]
- Anton Ljungberg, David Åkerman (M.Sc., April 2020). Data-driven Program Analyzer Deployment (Axis Communications). LU-CS-EX-2020-17. [PDF]
- Jesper Öqvist (Ph.D., Jan 2019 / co-supervisor / main supervisor: Görel Hedin). Contributions to Declarative Implementation of Static Program Analysis. ISBN: 978-91-7753-944-5.
- John Lindskog (M.Sc., Jun 2013). Integration of Abstract Syntax Tree Driven Editors in Eclipse. LU-CS-EX-2013-31.
- Phillip Nilsson (M.Sc., Oct 2010). Compiler Extensions for Semantic Editing using JastAdd. LU-CS-EX-2010-31.
- Jesper Mattsson (M.Sc., May 2009). The JModelica IDE: Developing an IDE Reusing a JastAdd Compiler. LU-CS-EX-2009-29.
- Eric Mossberg (M.Sc., Oct 2009). Inspector - Tooling for Interactive Language Development. LU-CS-EX-2009-35.
The Programming Journal (Associate Editor, Vol. 6),
ICPE (AEC Co-Chair),
<Programming> (PC Chair).
Empirical Software Engineering (reviewer),
<Programming> (Posters/Demos Co-Chair),
SLE (PC Co-chair),
Journal of Information and Software Technology (reviewer).
ECOOP-DS (Academic Panel),
<Programming> PX/20 (PC),
ICPC - Industry track (PC),
Journal of Software and Systems (reviewer).
SLE (Co-Chair Artifact Evaluation Committe),
Journal of Software and Systems (reviewer),
Journal of Software: Practice and Experience (reviewer).
ESEC/FSE Industry track (PC),
ICSE Technical briefings (PC),
Journal of Computer Languages, Systems and Structure (reviewer).
The Computer Journal (reviewer).